Monday, September 19, 2011

Week 2 of Fantasy Football: I Have No Clue What I Am Doing

Embed from Getty Images


You know Murphy's Law, "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"...

Well that applied perfectly to both of my fantasy teams this weekend. Here's an unhappy recap:

Team 1 (14 teams, deep rosters):

Originally I had Rams WR1 Danny Amendola as my last flex (WR/TE), but he suffered a severe injury in Week 1 and was clearly not a fantasy option for Week 2.

Amendola's injury led me to the Raiders WR2/3 Darrius Heyward-Bey, who led his team with seven targets in the opener. Heyward-Bey seemed like a decent last-spot option considering the injuries to WR1 Louis Murphy, WR2/3 Jacoby Ford and TE1 Kevin Boss, until he too was scratched from the lineup.

Initially that led me to Broncos WR3 Eric Decker, who played surprisingly well in Denver's Week 1 match-up. After reading the injury updates on Rotoworld, I decided against Decker because WR1 Brandon Lloyd was expected to suit up.

Embed from Getty Images

Back to the Raiders I went, this time for fill-in WR2 Chaz Schilens, who has the "talented but oft-injured" label. Schilens was described as 100% to go, so I figured he'd see a nice amount of targets from QB Jason Campbell.

Schilens ended up with 0.8 points, including a stuff at the goal line which would have been good for eight additional points.

Lloyd ended up being a last-second scratch by the Broncos' coaching staff. 

Sadly, Decker exploded for 26 fantasy points, and would have been the difference in my series. Well done, Mr. Frascella.

I also got torched by Eagles WR2 Jeremy Maclin (who sucked in Week 1) after getting smoked by Chargers RB2 Mike Tolbert in the opening week.

Oh, and Felix Jones and Ben Roethlisberger were also injured for me. 

The End Result: 0-2 record.


Team 2 (12 teams, also deep rosters):

Going into the Sunday night game (Eagles @ Falcons), I was trailing 129 to 108. I had Matt Ryan and my opponent was completely out of players. Twenty-one for the tie, 22 for the win.

But before I get there, I must add that Plaxico Burress went for zero points in my lineup. Big performance.

Of course that wasn't the worst news.

The worst news came in the form of Chiefs RB1 Jamaal Charles' season-ending injury. Charles was my first-round selection, fourth overall. His devastating injury turned my Week 2 match-up into a must-win...

Embed from Getty Images

Which brings us back to the Eagles/Falcons game. Fast-forwarding to the good stuff, Ryan was five passing yards away from tying my contest at 129. Twenty-five yards away from giving me the lead and the victory, barring a last-minute turnover of some sort.

The Falcons had the ball, trailing, with plenty of time to go in the 4th quarter. A longgg field ahead of them. And what happens?

They run the ball ALL the way down the field for a score. No passing plays! It became The Magical Michael Turner Show, exactly when I needed the opposite to occur.

Long story short, because I can't take the agony any longer, Ryan failed to pick up the measly five points. To make matters worse, Charles had 27 yards on just two carries to start the Chiefs game, a pace that suggested a lock victory for me given the final score.

The End Result: 0-2 record. 

Week 3 can't come quickly enough.  

No comments:

Post a Comment