Monday, September 12, 2011

Tricky Question: Is Kerry Collins a Hall of Famer?

Embed from Getty Images

My colleague asked me that question earlier today at work. Why did he ask?

Because yesterday, Collins passed the legendary Joe Montana on the all-time passing yardage list. Crazy, I know.

So, with that in mind, I suppose it's reasonable to consider Collins' chances for the Hall of Fame.

My immediate response to my colleague was, "Well, if Vinny Testaverde becomes a Hall of Famer, I guess Collins could be."

Testaverde is also near the top of the all-time passing yardage list, and like Collins, never won a Super Bowl. What people may forget, however, is that Collins reached the Big Game twice with two different teams: the Panthers and Giants.

Embed from Getty Images

Collins has always had incredible arm strength, and his quick release often compensated for his glaring lack of mobility. Could he be a Hall of Famer given his longevity and statistics?

It's not completely out of the question. I don't think he was thought of as an "elite" quarterback at any time during his career, but he's always been "capable" and "solid."

Are "capable" and "solid" adjectives that describe Hall of Fame athletes? Not always, but sometimes.

What will ultimately hurt Collins' chances is that he's been labeled "a drunk," and people don't generally seem to be a fan of his. Hey, it helps to be liked. I'm not sure Mr. Collins is.

No comments:

Post a Comment