Monday, August 19, 2019

My 200 Favorite Movies: Reviews of L.A. Confidential, Mystic River & Hannah and Her Sisters

Photo Credit: Roger Ebert


In July of 2016, I set out to rank my 200 favorite movies, in order, then review each and every one of them. As you can probably imagine, my eyes were bigger than my appetite, and life got in the way. I wrote more than 40 reviews, but came nowhere near the 200. Instead of wasting those words and the time I put into them, I'll be publishing them - piecemeal - over the course of the next few months. Remember, these are my FAVORITE movies, which doesn't necessarily mean they are the BEST I've ever seen. Please enjoy...and as always...all comments and reasonable debates are welcome!


These early reviews are the shortest of the series. Three Best Picture nominees to start...

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL (1997)

In a year that included TitanicGood Will Hunting and As Good As It Gets, I remember that my uncle, Larry Frascella -- former top film critic for US Magazine -- thought L.A. Confidential was the best of the best. And, years later, I have to say I still agree. 

Titanic is one of the top grossing films in history, but I felt the screenplay was corny and the primary romance too contrived. Good Will Hunting is one of my all-time favorite movies, but it's not a better movie than L.A. Confidential. It's really just a by-the-numbers hidden genius story done well. I'm not even gonna bother with As Good As It Gets (director James L. Brooks is the unofficial King of Sap). 

While the other contenders left me with bones to pick, L.A. Confidential separates itself from the pack as a truly complete film -- the cast is phenomenal, the story is strong, the period setting and style are spot on and it ends with a thrilling final act. 

As the four central cops in the movie, Russell CroweGuy PearceKevin Spacey and James Cromwell are phenomenal. I really enjoyed the murder mystery elements of the plot as well.

** Frascella's Score: 9 out of 10 **

MYSTIC RIVER (2003)

The first time I saw Clint Eastwood's masterwork, Mystic River, I was quickly convinced that it was one of the most complete films I'd ever seen -- dark, engrossing, powerful and memorable. It effectively blended mystery, suspense and unfiltered drama with excellent performances from Sean PennTim RobbinsKevin Bacon and Laurence Fishburne.

However, much to my surprise, the second time I saw Mystic River I was strangely disengaged. The story felt like a one-trick pony the second time around. Once I was aware of the resolution, I wasn't as engaged in the film's preceding sequence of events. So while I still believe Mystic River is one of the best all-around movies I've ever seen, it is not one of my top 100 because of a lack of sustainable replay value. As I've said hundreds of times in the past, to me, "favorite" films are those you can easily watch over and over again. 

Laura Linney tried her best in the role of Penn's tough, trashy and loyal-to-a-fault wife -- hints of Lady Macbeth, here -- but ultimately was miscast. To me, the real Laura Linney is closer to the characters she played in Love, Actually and The Truman Show (both coming in later installments). This role was just a bit of a stretch for me.

(NOTE: I wrote this back in 2016, before Ozark existed. Maybe I was wrong about Laura.)

** Frascella's Score: 9 out of 10 **

HANNAH AND HER SISTERS (1986)

Certainly one of Woody Allen's all-time greats, Hannah and Her Sisters weaves multiple storylines around a trio of sisters: Hannah (Mia Farrow, Woody's muse of the moment), Lee (Barbara Hershey) and Holly (an excellent Dianne Wiest). 

Hmm, let's see how I can summarize all this...Hannah is divorced from Mickey (played by Allen himself), who may or may not be interested in Holly, who is interested in David (a young Sam Waterson, of Law & Order fame), who is also being pursued by April (Carrie Fisher), who happens to be Holly's partner in a professional catering venture. That leaves Elliot (a sometimes-creepy Michael Caine) who is now married to Hannah while being deeply in love with her sister, Lee, who is dating the much older Frederick (a solid Max von Sydow). 

Many of these characters intertwine, one way or another. The first time I saw Hannah and Her Sisters, I was really moved by it, particularly the third act. Upon subsequent viewings, the good news is that I seem to remember everything quite well -- the more memorable, the better -- but the bad news is that I don't like it quite as much as I did the first time. Some movies become more likable over time, but this one doesn't because there aren't that many likable characters. In fact, I only find myself rooting for the title character, Hannah, who is played with restraint, dignity and subtle skill by Farrow. 

Nevertheless, this is a sometimes-deep and thought-provoking dramedy about a dysfunctional family that never quite grasps the extent of its dysfunctionality. One of Woody's top three for me.

** Frascella's Score: 9 out of 10 **

MY UP-TO-DATE ARCHIVE OF ALL REVIEWS AND SCORES

("No review available" means I recently saw the film for the first time, but don't have much to say about it. Glad to provide a score, at least.)

1. Up in the Air (9.5/10)
2. Steve Jobs (9.5/10)
3. Margin Call (9/10)
4. Hannah and Her Sisters (9/10)
5. Mystic River (9/10)
6. L.A. Confidential (9/10)
7. Lady Bird (9/10)
8. Stay (9/10)
9. Gone Girl (9/10)
10. Nocturnal Animals (9/10)
11. 45 Years (9/10)
12. The Edge of Seventeen (9/10)
13. Tape (9/10)
14. A Perfect Murder (9/10)
15. War Dogs (8.5/10)
16. In Bruges (8.5/10)
17. Split (8.5/10)
18. Bad Moms (8.5/10)
19. Basquiat (8.5/10)
22. The Revenant (7.5/10)
23. The Good Shepherd (7.5/10)
24. The Shallows (7.5/10)
25. Focus (7.5/10) 
26. The Night Before (7.5/10)
27. The Walk (7/10)
28. 10 Cloverfield Lane (7/10)
29. Loving (7/10) - No review available
30. A Most Violent Year (6.5/10) - No review available
31. The Shape of Water (6/10) - discussed in this review
32. The Boy (6/10) - No review available
33. Joy (5.5/10)
34. Taking Lives (5.5/10)
35. La La Land (5.5/10)
36. The Visit (5/10) - discussed in this review
37. 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi (5/10)
38. Make Love Great Again (5/10) - No review available
39. Molly's Game (5/10)
40. Set It Up (5/10)
41. Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (4.5/10) - No review available
42. Brooklyn (4.5/10) - discussed in this review, and this review
43. Ocean's 8 (4/10)
44. Why Him? (3.5/10) - No review available
45. The Program (3/10)
46. Pitch Perfect 3 (2/10)
47. Shut In (2/10) - No review available
48. Premonition (2/10) - No review available
49. Rings (1.5/10)
50. Mother's Day (1.5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment