Sunday, July 26, 2015

Grantland's NFL Top 100: Let Me Clean Up This Mess

Embed from Getty Images
As of this second, Grantland is featuring part two of Bill Barnwell's NFL Top 100 piece on its homepage (this was part one). It has been front and center since Friday; so either the guys don't work on the weekends or the editing staff is particularly fond of the article. I hope the latter isn't the case because the rankings are completely and utterly illogical. 

I totally understand the fact that Barnwell feels skill players are unfairly overrated -- and I certainly think that offensive and defensive linemen and other un-flashy players deserve their due -- but you can't be ranking tight ends ahead of running backs simply because you believe tight ends don't get enough attention. For example:

1. Barnwell has TE Delanie Walker (#97) ranked ahead of RB DeMarco Murray (#100). 

I almost shut down my computer when I read this. I very nearly gave up on Barnwell's article altogether. This is how he opens his paragraph about Walker:

"Regarded as one of the league’s best blocking tight ends during his time as Vernon Davis’s backup in San Francisco..."

And to that I say, "Yipde do." The guy was one of the best blockers when he was on the 49ers? He's not even on the 49ers anymore! What is that statement implying, that Walker isn't one of the best blocking tight ends anymore? That he was only one of the best blockers then? How is that a selling point?

Embed from Getty Images

He's ranking a guy who used to be a good blocking tight end over the powerful and dynamic bellcow who led the NFL in rushing attempts, yards (total and per game), touchdowns and total yards from scrimmage. 

HOW ILLOGICAL IS THAT? I know it's rare for a running back, but I actually thought Murray deserved to be MVP of the league last season. I felt multiple quarterbacks were in the discussion -- namely Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger -- but no other running back was in Murray's class. He was absolutely the class of his position. 

And trust me, I completely understand that the Cowboys boasted the most improved offensive line in the game last year. I watched almost all of their games. I saw some of the ridiculously large holes that opened up. I take nothing away from them -- but I also saw Murray punishing linebackers and safeties in the second level. I also saw the stars of the vaunted Seattle Seahawks' defense, already considered one of the best in the history of football, shaking in their boots as Murray ran them over for 115 yards and a touchdown in a 30-23 Cowboys victory AT SEATTLE. The toughest place to play in the league. 

I really could go on all day about this. It's just such a completely ridiculous ranking that I feel no need to continue justifying my opinion. Barnwell's simply overthinking things in this case. 

Embed from Getty Images

2. Barnwell has Jason Witten (#79) ahead of Elvis Dumervil (#83) and Mario Williams (#85).

It just dawned on me that this guy was probably a tight end in high school or something. I mean, the favoring of tight ends is blatant. Witten played all 16 games last season and had just 703 yards receiving! I know he's a reliable veteran, but he's also slow as shit. Anyone who actually watches the games can see the obvious decline in his physical ability. He is not a dynamic player. He's another good blocker. Also, since he's still fresh in mind, how the hell is Witten better than DeMarco Murray? Murray is younger, they were on the same team last season and Murray was the MVP of the team. Witten is old and slow. Murray is a truck disguised as a human being. How is this even a discussion?

As for Dumervil and Williams, we're clearly talking about two of the most explosive pass rushers in the world. Dumervil was third in sacks and Super Mario was fourth. Most football people agree that the key to a world-class defense is consistent pressure on the opposing quarterback. Both Dumervil and Williams play for top defensive units in the Ravens and Bills, respectively. These guys are INCREDIBLY valuable. They are relentless monsters in the trenches. At this stage in his career, Witten is a solid role player and nothing more. 

Embed from Getty Images 

3. Barnwell has CB Chris Harris ahead of Jimmy Graham, Clay Matthews, Le'Veon Bell and Jamaal Charles. 

DO I EVEN HAVE TO F'N SAY ANYTHING? IS THIS EARTH? I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment