Wednesday, October 12, 2011

NFL Power Rankings: Jim Harbaugh Brings the 49ers Back From the Dead

Embed from Getty Images


I just realized that I forgot to update my Power Rankings after week 4; so, my profound apologies. Nonetheless, here we go again...

32. Miami Dolphins (0-4):  I guess they could do worse than Matt Moore as a replacement for Chad Henne, but this team is terrible and they have to deal with the Patriots, Bills and Jets.

31. St. Louis Rams (0-5):  We all knew the Danny Amendola injury would hurt them, but will it hurt to the point where they'll never win a game?

30. Indianapolis Colts (0-5):  From the little I saw of Curtis Painter in the past (the foolish throw-away game against the Jets two seasons ago), I was pretty certain that he was one of the worst professional quarterbacks in the world. I'm rethinking that, just a bit, of late.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-4):  I have no faith in Blaine Gabbert yet.

28. Denver Broncos (1-4):  And so, after much drama and debate, the Tim Tebow era begins in Denver...anddd I don't foresee much of a change in the standings. What I do foresee, is something like 13-of-21 for 163 yards, 1 td, 1 int and 20-to-35 yards rushing. Yipde do.  

Embed from Getty Images

27. Arizona Cardinals (1-4)

26. Minnesota Vikings (1-4)

25. Carolina Panthers (1-4)

24. Kansas City Chiefs (2-3):  They may be without their best player in Jamaal Charles, but damn it these guys are scrappy. Back-to-back, very surprising victories for Todd Haley's never-say-die bunch.

23. Seattle Seahawks (2-3):  Pete Carroll's squad is just starting to come around, but they'll be on shaky ground if Charlie Whitehurst (Tarvaris Jackson injured) has to play after their Week 6 bye.   

22. Cleveland Browns (2-2):  With a blatantly mediocre talent pool, this team finds a way to stay close and sometimes they create their own breaks in the final five minutes of a nip-and-tuck game.

21. Philadelphia Eagles (1-4):  I didn't think they were world beaters heading into the season (had them 6th overall in my initial power rankings), but I never thought they'd be outside of my top 20 after their first five games. They need to start making stops or they'll continue to lose heartbreakers.

20. Chicago Bears (2-3):  An offensive line in shambles leads to a team in complete disarray.

19. Cincinnati Bengals (3-2):  Every time I think Marvin Lewis is going to lose his job, he finds new life in some way, shape or form. Right now he has a pleasant surprise of a team with a potentially bright future in Andy Dalton, AJ Green, Jerome Simpson, Jermaine Gresham and Rey Maualuga.

18. Tennessee Titans (3-2):  It's hard to have this team any higher than 18 without Kenny Britt.

Embed from Getty Images

17. New York Giants (3-2):  Dear G-Men:

Thanks for costing me my survivor pool with an inexplicable home loss to the broken-down Seahawks. I hate you. Three-and-two and I refuse to put you in the top 15.

16. Tampa Bay Bucs (3-2):  This team isn't a long-term playoff threat. I think we all kind of know that...I wonder if they do.

15. Atlanta Falcons (2-3):  Matt Ryan has been one of the most disappointing quarterbacks in the league this year, and now the low-flying Falcons are dealing with an injury to rookie stud Julio Jones.  

14. Houston Texans (3-2):  Could you have deadlier offense-defense injuries than Andre Johnson and Mario Williams?

13. New York Jets (2-3):  Their losses -- @ Patriots, @ Ravens and @ Raiders -- are understandable, but if they don't show significant offensive improvement over the next few weeks they are in danger of falling out of the top 15, all the way down into the bottom 10.

12. Dallas Cowboys (2-2):  This offense is scary when Tony Romo, Miles Austin, Dez Bryant, Jason Witten and Felix Jones are on the field simultaneously. Let's see if they can stay healthy from here on out.  

11. Washington Redskins (3-1):  I can't believe this is the No. 11 team in the NFL. Sad.

10. Oakland Raiders (3-2):  I think I have a little crush on them this year. They beat my Jets pretty convincingly and I like their overall explosiveness. I still think they'll hang around with San Diego throughout the regular season.

9. San Francisco 49ers (4-1):  Alex Smith is winning games? Maybe it's time for other teams to bring back Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, Cade McCown, Akili Smith...

Embed from Getty Images

8. Pittsburgh Steelers (3-2):  It seems that they're rounding back into the form we've come to expect and respect.

7. San Diego Chargers (4-1)

6. Buffalo Bills (4-1):  I find it amusing that I have more confidence in them than Philip Rivers' annually-hyped Chargers.   

5. New England Patriots (4-1):  One of the worst defensive units in the game is now without its best player in Jerod Mayo.

4. Baltimore Ravens (3-1):  This spot was a toss-up with the team at No. 3, so I guess you could say that I punished the Ravens for having the bye and only four games played.

3. New Orleans Saints (4-1)

2. Detroit Lions (5-0):  Okay, they're for real...I get it now. I promise.

1. Green Bay Packers (5-0):  Innocent until proven...wait, I think I've already said that about them this season...


Story Notes:

Greatest Gainer: San Francisco 49ers from 20 to 9.

Biggest Loser: New York Jets from 7 to 13. Go Gang Green. Woo.  

No comments:

Post a Comment