Friday, July 1, 2016

2016 NBA Free Agency: My Knee-Jerk Reactions to Some Big-Time Moves

Embed from Getty Images
I have an incredibly small time window, so I'll shoot from the hip. Letter grades will indicate the strength of the transaction...

DeMar DeRozan (B+):  Not much of a shocker, but I thought he might consider trying to replace Kobe Bryant in Los Angeles. I've heard rumors about the Lakers shopping D'Angelo Russell, so I kind of liked the sound of a Jordan Clarkson, DeMar DeRozan, Brandon Ingram core. Nevertheless, DeRozan returns to Toronto where they will again compete for the No. 2 seed in the East. 

Bradley Beal (A-):  I honestly think he's a more skilled two-guard than DeRozan, but the latter is more durable and aggressive. Beal is smooth and controlled, and I love his all-around offensive game. He returns to Washington where his main concerns will be staying healthy and finding a way back into the postseason. The Wizards roster looks a little light right now; Beal and John Wall will definitely need some help. 

Andre Drummond (A+):  I don't think this one was ever in doubt. I love what Stan Van Gundy has done with the Pistons personnel. Drummond returns as the absolute best rebounder in the world. Easy decision for SVG and Detroit. 

Embed from Getty Images

Nicolas Batum (B+):  I thought he might consider going elsewhere, but he had a good experience in Charlotte this past season. He and Kemba Walker will continue to lead Michael Jordan's roster, but I think they'll need more firepower to repeat their 48-win total. They will miss Jeremy Lin and Al Jefferson

Jordan Clarkson (A):  Would have loved to see him in a Nets or Knicks uniform, but it sounds like new head coach Luke Walton has been high on Clarkson from the outset. This was a pretty easy re-signing for Los Angeles. From day one I have preached that Clarkson is a better long-term holding than Russell. I like Clarkson's pure athleticism and natural ability. 

Hassan Whiteside (A):  I kept saying he was the perfect fit for the Knicks personnel, but it doesn't seem like New York was ever really a contender. This ultra-talented big stays with Pat Riley and Coach Spo, despite strong efforts from the Blazers and Mavs. I'm sure Mark Cuban is pissed right now.

Al Jefferson (A-):  Looks like a good gamble for Larry Bird and the Pacers. After adding Jeff Teague and Thaddeus Young in the past two weeks, "Al Jeff" joins the fray for 3 years and $30 million. Very affordable, though we know this vet is injury-prone. He should share time in a three-headed monster with Thad and Myles Turner

Embed from Getty Images 

Evan Fournier (A-):  This was a no-brainer for the Magic after they dealt Victor Oladipo to OKC. Fournier, like fellow FA Kent Bazemore, enjoyed a breakout season and is now reaping the financial benefits. In today's NBA, everyone needs floor spacing and perimeter shooting, and Fournier is helpful in those areas. He has potential to improve, too. 

Chandler Parsons (D-):  I've been referring to Parsons as the "Sam Bradford of the NBA." He looks good, he's a nice kid and he says all the right things. Unfortunately, on the court he's nothing spectacular. His skillset reflects versatility, but he isn't a max player. I hate this deal for the Grizzlies. After letting the effective Dave Joerger go, this franchise may be heading into a dark abyss. I don't foresee a bright future here. Parsons isn't going to right this ship. 

Evan Turner (B-):  I always liked Harrison Barnes for the small forward position in Portland. Barnes struggled mightily in the postseason, but I liked his skillset next to Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum. The young trio would have had the potential to develop organically. Instead they end up with Turner, and that feels like settling to me. Like Parsons, Turner is a versatile performer, but his ceiling is low. I don't think he's the swingman who takes the Blazers to the next level. 

Derrick Rose (B+):  It was a low-risk trade for the Knicks. Yes, Rose is an injury-prone ballhog, but New York represents a fresh start. You never know what a talented guy can do with optimism and a new outlook on things. Robin Lopez, Jose Calderon and Jerian Grant are all completely expendable and replaceable players, so I think this was a worthwhile gamble for Phil Jackson.

Gotta run...more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment