Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sports Blogging During My Safe Driving Course: A Pivotal Showdown in the NFC North

Embed from Getty Images

So, my car insurance agent has been bugging me to complete a defensive driving course for about a year now. Finally today -- since it's really to my financial benefit -- I decided to take her up on that.

Needless to say, I wasn't particularly enthralled to find that the course is a SIX-hour commitment. With that in mind, I have decided to write about sports to fill in some of the down time during this wonderful learning experience. 

2:26 p.m.:  Jermichael Finley just put together a spectacular effort on a 14-yard pass from Aaron Rodgers, but it was eventually ruled incomplete by the side judge. Speaking of Jermichael Finley...isn't he one of the most disappointing players in the NFL? All hype, very little substance. He's also injury prone. 

2:29:  Darren Sproles just caught a slant over the middle and took it for 44 yards through the middle of the enigmatic Cowboys defense. Dallas just allowed a touchdown about 1:30 ago, which tied the game at 14 before the end of the half. To allow another TD here in the final minute would be a travesty at home. 

Saints ended up settling for a short FG from shaky Garrett Hartley. 17-14 Saints at half in a must-win for the 'Boys. 

Embed from Getty Images

2:37:  Adrian Peterson knifing through the Texans defense...ho hum...what else is new? Talk about dominant individual seasons this year:  Peterson, Calvin Johnson, JJ Watt and Aldon Smith. Records being shattered left and right. Very impressive and fun to watch. 

2:40:  1,148 auto-related fatalities in New York in 2010. Is that even a lot? I was kind of expecting a higher number than that. Maybe we're driving more carefully than we think in our state...nahhhhh. Who am I kidding?

2:43:  I should probably address the fact that I chose a photo of Big Ben and The Red Rocket (Ben Roethlisberger and Andy Dalton). That's because I consider the Bengals/Steelers game to be the most pivotal of the day. The NFC East certainly makes for interesting games, but the Eagles (playing Robert Griffin III) and the Saints (playing the 'Boys) aren't in the race. Obviously the Steelers and Bengals both are. 

2:52:  I feel like the Cowboys defense never holds on third downs. Maybe it's just me, but I see pretty consistent failure in those scenarios. 

3:02:  I'm actually looking forward to the Timberwolves @ Knicks game that begins late this afternoon. New York got embarrassed by Chicago in their last outing, and I'm thinking the descent back to Earth is under way. We'll see. The Wolves don't have Kevin Love so the Knicks should be able to capitalize to some extent. 

3:05:  So much for the Dolphins under 6.5 wins this season -- they're currently beating up on the lowly Bills which will result in their 7th victory. Oh well. What do I know? Not much apparently. 

3:10:  The Steelers just tied it up at 10. Let's go, boys! I have the Steelers, Cowboys and Giants in a saucy parlay today. I'm live at the moment. 

3:15:  What else can I talk about? Oh, I ranked all 32 NFL starting quarterbacks the other day. Here's what I came up with:

32. Greg McElroy-Jets
31. John Skelton-Cardinals
30. Brady Quinn-Chiefs
29. Ryan Fitzpatrick-Bills
28. Chad Henne-Jaguars
27. Nick Foles-Eagles
26. Jake Locker-Titans
25. Brandon Weeden-Browns
24. Christian Ponder-Vikings
23. Sam Bradford-Rams
22. Joe Flacco-Ravens
21. Ryan Tannehill-Dolphins
20. Carson Palmer-Raiders
19. Josh Freeman-Bucs
18. Colin Kaepernick-49ers
17. Russell Wilson-Seahawks
16. Jay Cutler-Bears
15. Philip Rivers-Chargers
14. Andy Dalton-Bengals
13. Andrew Luck-Colts
12. Matthew Stafford-Lions
11. Cam Newton-Panthers
10. Matt Schaub-Texans
9. Matt Ryan-Falcons
8. Robert Griffin III-Redskins
7. Ben Roethlisberger-Steelers
6. Tony Romo-Cowboys
5. Peyton Manning-Broncos
4. Eli Manning-Giants
3. Drew Brees-Saints
2. Tom Brady-Patriots
1. Aaron Rodgers-Packers

Any comments regarding this list? If so, holla at me...

Embed from Getty Images

3:37:  Congrats to my boy Darius Butler on another pick-six today. What a comeback season for my former Jumpshooter teammate. Great to see him thriving as an Indianapolis Colt. 

3:41:  Marques Colston may have just buried the Cowboys. Man, Dallas never seems to step up. They are such a collective disappointment. Sometimes I actually feel bad for Jerry Jones

3:47:  Okay, this is boring me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment