Wednesday, May 2, 2012

NBA Playoffs Running Commentary: "The Truth" Is Undeniable

Embed from Getty Images

It's been awhile. I know. If you noticed the hiatus, well...you're probably the only one.

Wednesday, May 2nd, 11:03 p.m.:  You don't have to like Paul Pierce, but you have to respect him. Last night "The Truth" turned in another legendary performance, adding to his legacy as one of the most under-appreciated superstars in the history of the NBA. I mean, they definitely appreciate him in Boston, but the rest of the country doesn't give him his proper due. 

Pierce is one of the most fearless clutch players of all time. Never afraid to take and make the big one.

With the series heading to Boston, you have to like the Celtics at this point -- especially considering the absence of PF/C Al Horford from Atlanta's lineup. They've been without him for most of the season, and they simply aren't as dangerous without their top four intact (the others being SG Joe Johnson, F Josh Smith and PG Jeff Teague). Three out of four isn't going to cut it in the postseason. 

11:15:  Tony Allen jumps into the passing lane and flies in for an uncontested dunk. The Grizzlies are up 57-52 in Game 2. 

11:16:  Man, the Spurs really blew the Jazz out tonight, huh? I can't say I'm surprised because the Spurs' backcourt is in another stratosphere in comparison to the average (at best) Jazz. I like Utah's frontcourt -- Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and Derrick Favors -- but you need it all to compete with this year's Spurs. They don't have it all; that much is for sure. 

11:18: You could make the argument that Blake Griffin is the least improved player in the NBA this season. His stats are there, thanks to his athleticism, coordination and strength, but his repertoire hasn't improved in the slightest. If I had to win one game, right now, off the top of my head I'd take all of the following power forwards over him:

Dirk Nowitzki, LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love, Pau Gasol, Kevin Garnett, Chris Bosh, Al Jefferson and David Lee. I'd also consider Josh Smith, Tim Duncan and Serge Ibaka

Griffin, minus the monster finishes around the rim, is almost an offensive liability at times. His shot selection is bizarre and his free throw shooting isn't where it needs to be. I love watching him fly but am not a fan of his game. 

11:23:  CP3 drilling a mid-range jumper in Tony Allen's face. So much for the defensive height advantage. 

11:24:  Zach Randolph with the offensive rebound and bucket. He has 11. Looks spry tonight. 

Embed from Getty Images

11:25:  I did two NBA playoff brackets -- I have the Thunder over the Grizzlies in the Western Conference Finals in one of them, so the Grizz better come out of this series against CP3 and the Clips. In hindsight, I realize that I went against one of my general bracket strategies: pick the top teams with the easiest paths to the championship. Meaning, I think the Grizzlies are the second best team in the West, but they have to play the Clippers right now while the Spurs are beating up on the far inferior Jazz. 

I have the Grizzlies knocking out the Spurs (again), but Memphis has to get there before that can come to fruition. I forgot to calculate that aspect of it. I knew the Jazz had no shot to beat the Spurs in a series. The same cannot be said of the Clippers against the Grizzlies. 

11:29:  It's nice to see my UConn classmate Rudy Gay knocking down jumpers in the NBA playoffs. It's all love. 

11:31:  So I have the Thunder over the Heat in 7 games in one of my brackets, but I still feel bad for my Mavs after the first two games of their series. Mathematically and practically speaking, Dallas probably should have come away from those two games with at least one victory. Unfortunately for Dirk, Jet, J-Kidd and company, they didn't. I'm not quite sure they'll hold homecourt in Game 3. OKC may sweep now, sad as that is. 

11:35:  Grizzlies back away from CP3 and he nails a big three. Bizarre defensive lapse. 

11:36:  Are the 76ers really going to win that series with Derrick Rose out of the picture? From what I saw in Game 2, it's highly possible. We'll have to wait and see. I'd still side with the Bulls but can't say I'm confident. 

Embed from Getty Images

11:37:  Rudy Gay. Make it rain, kid. 

11:38:  Memphis up 75-69 after 3. CP3 and OJ Mayo just barked at one another. I like when things get personal. Should be an awesome fourth quarter. 

11:39:  I'm squinting at the screen so I should probably stop for now. If there's anything to update, check me out on Twitter @RedSoxAuthor. I never actually talk about the Red Sox. It's mostly NBA stuff. I know, not much continuity there. I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment