Tuesday, December 20, 2011

L.A. Confidential: Are the Lakers Quietly Falling From Grace?

Embed from Getty Images

I know it's a (supposedly) meaningless preseason game, but the Lakers look absolutely awful against the Clippers right now. As I type they're trailing 96-74 with nine minutes to go in the fourth quarter. 

Over the course of the past few days I've come to an eye-opening realization: The current Lakers are literally a three-man team: SG Kobe Bryant, PF Pau Gasol and C Andrew Bynum. Keep in mind, the Lakers got embarrassed and swept out of the playoffs last season with Lamar Odom and Phil Jackson

Now they have Troy Murphy and Mike Brown

"Showtime" fans have to have a gag reaction to the preceding sentence. I have a gag reaction, and I could care less about the success (or possible lack thereof) of this year's Lakers. I'm going to keep it short and sweet -- this team has no depth, a major downgrade at the head coaching position and a third-best player (Bynum) who gets hurt every season. 

Embed from Getty Images

I don't see any upside here. The Odom trade was a real head-scratcher. Kill your second unit and give him to the team (Dallas Mavericks) that swept you out of the postseason?

Are you feeling okay, Mitch Kupchak?

Watching them play tonight -- no rhythm, explosiveness, cohesion, versatility -- I honestly feel bad that the Chris Paul trade fell through. Independent of this preseason game (as ugly as it has been), I view the Lakers as no better than a five seed in the West. Fifth may even be a little generous. 

I'm confident that the Mavericks, Oklahoma City Thunder and Memphis Grizzlies will be the top teams in the West. The second tier includes the San Antonio Spurs, Clippers, Portland Trail Blazers and Lakers. 

I wouldn't be completely shocked if the Lakers finished seventh. They need to add depth and raw talent. Kobe's going to have nights where he feels like he's playing with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown again. 

Embed from Getty Images

So what does this all mean? Well, I can guarantee one thing for you right now...

There is no way -- constructed as they are at this very moment -- that the Lakers can win the NBA Championship this season. You can book that.

No comments:

Post a Comment